View Single Post
Old August 20, 2009, 01:24 AM   #6
Lost Sheep

You can "register" with these organizations

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs
I remember nearly 35 years ago hearing of this. But soon after I learned it was a urban legend loosely tied to the possibility that a pro fighter could face tuffer charges that would be harder to counter if he were to beat a guy to death compared to a regular joe as the pro knows his abilities and likelihood it could cause severe injury or death.
Brent
I heard something similar.

If you are a member of the WBA, NBA, IPBA or XFA, et al (World Boxing Association, National Boxing Assoc, International Professional Boxing Assoc., Xtreme Fighting Assoc) or maybe even any of the Amateur Associations, you are "registered" and entitled to particpate in contests sanctioned by those organization. I believe (at least with the professional associations) you have to be registered to actually win a title or even enter a contest.

Add to that, that (supposedly) a prosecutor might charge a higher level of assault charge against you if you got in a fight with someone you knew was not in your league. Maybe even attempted murder or the much fabled Assault with a Deadly Weapon.

As far as I know it is an urban myth, but as far as I know is not very far.

But if you (a non-professional fighter) had a fender-bender with a professional boxer or mixed martial artist pro and it escalated to fisticuffs, with both of you unarmed, would you like for your District Attorney to have that charge as one of his options?

Note: This is all speculation (except that membership requirement thing, For example, if you are not licensed (registered?) with the Nevada State Athletic Commission you cannot ingage in contests and exhibitions of unarmed combat within the state of Nevada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_...tic_Commission

Personally, I don't give it much credence. It also doesn't matter much to me, as my hands are definitely sub-lethal.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02841 seconds with 8 queries