Thread: Explain .22LR
View Single Post
Old March 15, 2013, 05:35 PM   #8
22-rimfire

I personally wouldn't be blasting away with the RWS(?) unless you are testing or that firearm really likes it. The CCI Standard Velocity (SV) is excellent stuff and I shoot it a lot.

The Standard Velocity versus Subsonic has always confused me. Technically anything that is less than the speed of sound at the muzzle is "subsonic". But generally speaking, SV loads will likely be in the 1050 fps area and subsonic should be in the 900-950 fps or less. Hence, the subsonic may not cycle your slide in a semi-auto pistol or rifle. You just have to try. There is no standard for subsonic versus standard velocity. I think the subsonic naming is more marketing than anything else.

I would certainly get some lower priced ammo and try it out; CCI Blazers and Federal Lightning come to mind, but also bulk packs. Hard to find 22 ammunition right now priced at normal prices. The "new and improved" Remington Golden Bullets are much more reliable relative to pre "new and Improved". But I found that if a semi-auto is finicky with high speed LR ammo, the copper coated seems to feed better.

Page generated in 0.02837 seconds with 8 queries