View Single Post
Old January 11, 2013, 10:04 PM   #15
Webleymkv

Originally posted by Glenn E. Meyer
Quote:
One insidious ploy is inviting folks like the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, Ducks Unlimited, and the Outdoor Industry Association.

This is a blatant attempt to split gun folks on the nutsos vs. the happy shotgun skeet shooters and assassins of deer and ducks. They are OK. Biden proclaimed Obama won't take your shotgun (Elmer calms down) and that he has shotguns and shoots the skeets - thus he knows and loves guns. But not nutso guns.

If the hunting, skeet crowd falls in line , that will be pathetic. We know from the Zumbo incident, they are out there.
Oh, I'm sure that trying to divide the "sportsmen" from those interested in so-called "assault weapons" is certainly part of the strategy, but I'm not convinced that it will be as effective as it has in the past. Unlike the situation in 1994, I don't think that people whose interest in guns stops at shooting deer, ducks and clay pigeons are the majority of the gun owning public anymore.

I've seen reported elsewhere that the AR-15 has been the best selling rifle in America for at least a few years now and small CC-type pistols seem to be among the most popular sold. This tells me that the majority of the gun owners, particularly new gun owners, are more interested in self-defense than in shooting bambi. Proclaiming that because you are a hunter you understand gun owners isn't going to resonate very well with the mother whose never stepped foot in the woods but bought a gun to protect herself and her children. Such proclamations are, IMO, more likely to make one seem like an out-of-touch old elitist to much, if not most, of the gun owners today.

Originally posted by Harry Schell
Quote:
I am less worried with time, but I think the real action may occur at the states where, like CA, Democrats can do whatever they want.
They're not completely invulnerable even in far-left states either. The NRA, while I fully support them, are not our only advocates here. The SAF is proving to be effective in moving the debate into federal courts thus removing the advantage of intrastate politics in places like CA, NY, and IL. People like Cuomo can rant and rave all they want, but if their draconian measures don't stand up in court then all they've done is expend a lot of political capital for nothing. This is why, when this whole mess started, I contributed to both the NRA-ILA and SAF.

Last edited by Webleymkv; January 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.02315 seconds with 8 queries