View Single Post
Old April 22, 2009, 06:55 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

Strutting zones and roosting patterns

Hey guys, just thought I'd ask everyone's experience on a few things. Primarily, where do you find the turkeys in your area are strutting for the hens? I found on a few occassions that they will be in a ridge/i.e. lower ground. But, just the other day I also found a lone tom strutting for a few hens high up on a hillside. Does it just depend on the mood of the birds on a particular day as to the location they choose? I'd think that they would go in their strutting/mating areas mostly high up on a hill to have a better vantage point for predators and/or rival birds. I've been hunting turkeys for quite a while, but I seem to have difficulty locating these mating grounds; mostly because the toms aren't likely to respond to my calls when "henned up".

Also, if you've located a roosting area or path to a roosting area that toms follow, have you found that they will travel the same direction to the roost in the evening as they will after flydown? In other words, if a tom is heading west after flydown, will the bird travel west to east on the same path in the evening to his roost? Thanks for any input fellas.

Page generated in 0.02145 seconds with 8 queries