View Single Post
Old January 25, 2012, 04:38 PM   #6
HiBC

Sounds like an interesting project.

I suggest a couple things to keep in mind.

Tighter twists and long heavy bullets are a lot harder for the powder gasses to push down the barrel.With a larger case like the Swift,you can load enough powder to get in trouble.Trouble may come as a very quick pressure spike,and cool versus hot day,lot to lot variation,etc suggest leaving yourself a margin of safety.

Tight twists and long heavy bullets at very high velocities are more prone to metal fouling.

If you are planning to shoot varmints,the match bullets do not open up.Berger does say some of their match bullets are suitable for varmints.I don't know,but the 77 gr ones I tried out of my AR said "excellent for varmints" on the box.My experience,a prairie dog is not large enough to open these bullets up.The kills were not quick enough to suit me.The bullets might be fine on a coyote.One bullet that is relatively sleek and I believe would open up on varmints is the 75 gr Hornady A-max.It has a plastic nosecone.That bullet is not suitable for a magazine fed .223 but it might be fine in your Swift.

Now,I do not say these things to rain on your parade.I think a tight twist 22-250 would be a fun tool for me.I just offer some things to keep in mind so you will more likely be successful.

Page generated in 0.02269 seconds with 8 queries