View Single Post
Old March 26, 2010, 01:08 PM   #45
Doc Intrepid

wilkup,

no disrespect intended, but you seem focused on doctoring up your Glock platform to the very ragged edge of its performance envelope so it will fire extremely heavy loads.

Then you ask "...if not what would I need to do to be able to run this round or is it even a possibility?"

If you are looking for the heaviest ballistics you can safely achieve in a handgun, there are numerous rounds that will outperform those you are looking at - they've been mentioned previously. Hand-loading either the .44 Magnum or .45 Long Colt cartridges will give you truly impressive ballistics, alternately you could go with something like a .454 Casull.

But trying to run extremely heavy loads in a Glock is going to require all sorts of compensatory bozonity, because you're trying to make the platform do things it was not designed to do. Sure, it can be done. But at what cost?

What you might want to consider doing to run extremely heavy handgun loads safely is look at a 6" bbl revolver that is designed to fire extremely heavy loads.

Otherwise, the ballistics out of a G20 in 10mm are reasonably comparable to a .41 Magnum factory load, and if you look at the muzzle energy column for the same 175 grain projectile you will note that the 10mm actually indicates a higher muzzle energy than the .41 Magnum (649 vs. 607). Citation:
http://waterguy.us/handgun.htm

By all means have at it, but buying and installing special barrels, recoil buffer pads, heavier spring sets or shock absorbers, etc. all to fire specialty ammunition that you need to order off the internet because few local shops stock it...seems to me to be a PITA to accomplish what a basic .44 Mag revolver could handle with a lot less fuss.

But I'm probably missing something.

Doc

Page generated in 0.04924 seconds with 8 queries