View Single Post
Old October 10, 2007, 12:02 PM   #3
arcticap

Here's 24 Basspro reviews for the Wolf. A few mention loads and sabots/bullets. Not every gun is going to like Powerbelts or pellets.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...00-3-1#reviews

There are many different sabot/bullet combinations and loose powders/pellets.
Then there is load development.
Usually with load development, a person starts at a lower powder level (70 or 80 grains maybe) and then works their way up in 5 grain increments until they start to gain or lose accuracy (even 10 grain increments with an inline).
Once you are on paper, then 50 yards should be good for sighting in.
And the fact that the Powerbelts aren't working well for you yet means that you either need to change the amount of powder or bullets (or even primers as mentioned).
I've read that the plastic skirt on the Powerbelts don't always separate from the base of the bullet, and that taking the skirt off and lubricating the joint and then replacing it, will help it to separate as it was intended to. But who knows if that will work for you.
You might want to try another sabot or bullet combination in the end, maybe a medium weight one like about 250 grains or so, that's the most commonly used.
Don't give up, that's part of the fun of muzzle loading. You should be able to get it to shoot at least into a paper plate everytime at 50 yards.
If there was a problem with the barrel, I can't think of anything except examining the crown for obvious defects. Chances are that it's something else.
And try to hold that gun firm & steady when you squeeze the trigger. These guns can jump around & recoil a lot when they go off.
I'm betting that you can work up the right loading & figure all of this out.
Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by arcticap; October 13, 2007 at 04:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.02397 seconds with 8 queries