View Single Post
Old August 13, 2012, 03:29 PM   #136

Bart,

This comment, offered up by CrowHunter, is reflective of the problem that I have with using a statistical model to quantify the highly variable tangibles (and intangibles) that are involved in a gun fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowHunter
To Poo Poo statistical modeling because it doesn't fit reality is short sighted and demonstrates a basic misunderstanding of how it is used and how results should be interpreted.
If it doesn't "fit reality", what's the point? Why bother?

Sure, it's fun to play with numbers and calculators, but the only answers that matter are the ones that actually occur.

I am not saying that you cannot play "what if" 'til your heart's content, but to think that you are going to get real answers from numerical fantasizing is a "fool's errand".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
You seem to be insisting on absolute certainty/always valid assumptions.
Yep. Invalid assumptions produce invalid results/conclusions. If I assume that I have a greater "hit rate" then I actually have (an invalid assumption) and draw the conclusion that I need only "x" number of rounds to successfully handle "y" number of attackers (an invalid conclusion) when in fact I'll need more, I am gonna have a really bad day when I come across "y" number of attackers.

Last edited by 481; August 13, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.07327 seconds with 8 queries