View Single Post
Old February 6, 2014, 12:08 PM   #21
davem

The Walker trigger, until a few days ago I didn't understand how it worked. What I thought was- the trigger pivoted on a pin, the area above the trigger rested on (under) the sear. When you pulled the trigger back the top area moved forward, off the sear that could then drop down, releasing the firing pin.
In order to obtain a patent the function needed to be unique so a cover was put over the top of the trigger. It's called a connector and it is free floating and held in place by the trigger pull spring pushing it against the trigger. If the gun is on safe you can normally pull the trigger and it moves the top forward away from the sear but the safety is holding the firing pin so nothing happens. When you let go of the trigger the trigger pull spring pushes the connector and trigger back under the sear. All is good. BUT if dirt gets between the connector and trigger or the safety wasn't pushed all the way, etc- it is possible if you pull the trigger while the safety is on for the trigger to go back but the edge of the sear catches on the connector. Nothing is holding the sear but the safety and as soon as you release the safety the gun fires. The instructions on my Remington call for cleaning the trigger on a regular basis and advising that excess oil, etc can render the gun extremely dangerous.
As I understand it, you can epoxy glue the connector to the trigger and there is no problem but you then need a gunsmith to true up the angles of engagement.
I don't know of any gunsmiths that do such work but would be interested to find one.
Walker, when he designed the safety wanted a trigger lock- so folks couldn't be pulling the trigger while the gun was on safety.
WHAT TO DO? Since 5 million have been sold. You really can't say it is a HUGE safety issue. Some basic rules apply:
1: Don't play with/test the trigger while the safety is on.
2. Keep the trigger manitained- cleaned.
3. Don't over rely on the safety, keep the chamber empty until in a tree stand. etc.
4. The trigger is not designed to operate with a pull under 3 pounds. From what I've read 3 1/2 lb is okay.
It helps a lot just to understand how the trigger functions.
I may be wrong but I think a Timney trigger is basically the Walker where there is no connector and the parts are better polished/fitted.

Page generated in 0.02314 seconds with 8 queries