View Single Post
Old October 10, 2005, 11:26 PM   #3
BillCA

17poundr,

Welcome to TFL and we hope to hear more from you in Finland!

Your advice is spot on - train for reality, not for games or competitions. Learning to shoot on the move AT a moving target is a critical skill.

My training was about 30 years ago when the standard instruction method was to draw and fire from a Weaver or triangular stance. We did practice reloading, weak-hand firing, distances up to 50 yards and various positions (standing, kneeling & prone). Some of you older guys will remember PPC shooting ("practical police course"). To some extent, that's generally sufficient training to get someone off to a good start. Even with that outdated training, most serious CCW carriers (who practice) would be a step up on the street thugs.

We were told to NEVER carefully extract our spent brass (revolvers) or pocket magazines -- the lessons learned by CHP at Newhall were just too fresh [they found one of the dead officers clutching empty brass due to his training at the range].

Lots of people talk about caliber, energy, etc. but we all know what stops a fight is shot placement. To further help develop skills, invest in paper targets that outline the critical body organs in their proper positions. You'll learn that there are locations on the body that are as good or better than the "X" ring of a silhoutte.

But it all gets back to what my original instructor taught us;
Quote:
Speed is fine; Accuracy is final.
--Vic Musser, FBI (ret)
Most ranges don't allow holsters or move & shoot drills because of liability concerns (and who can blame them?). Working as a team is even less likely, such as practice for husband & wife pairs.

My Tip:
Do you shoot with your feet apart, or one foot ahead of the other? If you're shooting large calibers or Magnum loads, try placing your strong-side foot about a 1/2 step behind you. This will do two things. First it angles your body to provide a slimmer target to your opponent (at least it did in my younger days!). Second, it allows your body to be balanced and move easier - retreat, advance, or even sideways, plus the rearward leg acts as a shock absorber for heavier loads.

Page generated in 0.03889 seconds with 8 queries