View Single Post
Old August 7, 2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Clifford L. Hughes

Botswana:

I'll share with you my method of dry firing that I used when I shot on several Marine Corps rifle and pistol teams. I dry fired against a blank white wall so that I could see any sight movement at the time of trigger and sear release. Stand about ten feet from the wall and use the back of a kitchen chair to rest your pistol on. Practice establishing a confortable grip and trigger finger placement that allows you to release the trigger and the sear without moving the sight alignment. When you raise the pistol focus your eyes on the front sight and align the rear sight with the front sight.

When you take your new skills to the range you will find that because your eyes are focused on the sights the target will blur. Don't worry, this is as it should be.

No one can hold a pistol perfectly still: there will always be some movement. Think about this; the target won't move, the bullet hole will be there after the shot. The only thing that moves is the pistol. If you maintain sight alignment the sights can move the size of the bulls eye and you will still hit the black.

Semper Fi.
Gunnery Sergrant
Clifford L. Hughs
USMC Retired

Page generated in 0.02018 seconds with 8 queries