View Single Post
Old March 5, 2014, 11:10 PM   #28
dstryr

The album cover was just a visual, the name called out on the radio was the inspiration. Vanity plates like 2FAST on a Corvette aren't interesting or funny. JKLNHYD on a plate leaves me wondering if the owner thinks the car is JEKYLL, the mild mannered doctor, HYDE, the sinister alter ego.

Most people would think that DSTRYR on a 440 6bbl Road Runner, a Plymouth- (Dodge had the Scat Pack program and started the marketing for the 1970 model year) is bragging about horsepower and has connotations of racing. It could be that, but it could be a reference to a rock band, Remo Williams, or some other thing. The beauty of vanity plates is that you can say something that makes others think beyond the first impression. JEKYLL was on my GTO, HYDE on the RR, and the intent was to point out that one of the most famously promoted muscle cars is truly in the shadow of a 6bbl Road Runner, among the quickest street racers of the muscle car era.

SITNSPN is one my brother had on his 67 Firebird years ago. There was a childrens' toy from the 70s called Sit-n-Spin, and it is also a polite way of saying 'go screw yourself', and the car had more than enough power to literally sit and spin the tires to ash.

CRUSH on a Carousel Red GTO could say I'll race you and beat your pants off, or because Carousel Red is bright orange(crush), there is more to it than most people think. Stating the obvious is ridiculously boring, vanity is bragging, but creativity provokes thought by way of subtle humor and in some cases double entendre.

You've piqued my curiosity on Remo Williams. I'll be checking him out.

http://www.dstryr.com/

Page generated in 0.02508 seconds with 8 queries