View Single Post
Old January 6, 2008, 09:56 PM   #3
10-96

Well, I don't know if I would get rid of the thing... You have something that is fun to shoot and tinker with. Even if the stock isn't in bad shape- it's a great educational tool to learn some of your own refinishing techniques- or cold blueing methods. You can even try your hand at installing or building various stock mounted recoil reducers. Or- just keep the thing like it is. Having an old beaterr around isn't a bad idea if you ever end up with a friend or family member that wants to go hunting or shooting and needs to borrow a shootin iron.

About the front bead (sight). Different folks have different sighting, leading, and/or pointing styles. I don't know, but it seems like I've run across more folks over the age of 40 who ditch the bead. I haven't seen many younger folks do that- but, it's not all that uncommon.

And, don't let anybody poke fun at your bolt gun. Those can be shot as well as any $300 - $10,000 shotgun. It's not about how much is spent- it's about how well the guy behind the trigger can swing it. I won a whole slew of summer sausages at turkey shoots back when I was in high school. (never did win a friggin turkey or a new shotgun!) But, I shot my dad's old 16ga bolt action, and more than held my own against more than a few spoiled rich boys.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.

Page generated in 0.02632 seconds with 8 queries