View Single Post
Old December 4, 2012, 11:04 AM   #32
smokiniron

OP Here.....

I really appreciate the recommendations - and the debate. I'm NOT technologically challenged. However, for this gun, my first and likely cheapest AR15, I'm trying to stay simple, including the OEM Magpul flip-up and the A2 post front.

Frankly, my eyes, with recent cataract surgery, do not respond to open sights well. I'm a southpaw, and my left eye was corrected for distance, so the sights are a blur. A scope would be nice, but cost more than I can justify, and it betrays the KISS standard for this particular gun.

In the day, as an 18-year-old rabbit slayer, we didn't have slings on our shotguns or .22s ..... we just let the gun freeze to our gloves.

I'm a 'large framed' guy, and with cold weather clothing, I think (don't know yet), that a simpler sling may be easier to manage.

So, I do appreciate the Appleseed recommendation from Skadoosh, and the CDNN recommendation from 10-96. Those are heading in the right direction.

And, to scsov509... $25 isn't too much. You are correct there. And if I decide (or my son does) that a more versatile sling would be nice, well, I've bookmarked VTAC and most of the others. I appreciate good value.

Ultimately, I just want what works, as inexpensively as possible. Hence the selection of a Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport for $599. It seemed like a good place to start.

(As a side note, I'm working on a specialized leather pocket holster for my Springer XDs. I like making stuff, and I can't find something already available that suits my needs)
and a few defensive firearms, too!

Page generated in 0.03633 seconds with 8 queries