View Single Post
Old October 29, 2008, 11:04 PM   #5
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgraebert
One definition stood out in particular...

Release Trigger - A trigger mechanism which sets when pulled, and then fires when released. Sometimes fitted to competition shotguns for shooters who are bothered by flinching, but perilous in the hands of someone not expecting such an arrangement.
Yes... they are out there, and there's an abundance of anecdotal horror stories involving gun mix-ups. The typical release trigger shooter might be described as an old time trap shooter looking for a last resort cure for flinching before he retires from shotgunning.

Most conscientious shooters will put a big red label on their gun "Caution - Release trigger." And, it's a common courtesy to announce that you're using a release trigger to the other squad members during practice and competition rounds.

Unfortunately, some shooters don't want other folks to know they have a release trigger. They are self-conscious about their flinching problem and don't want it to become common knowledge. The ATA rules do not address release triggers, but some gun clubs require warning labels.

It's enough that you are aware of release triggers, and the possibility that you might inadvertently mistake a release trigger equipped gun as your own. If you ever pull the trigger and nothing happens, the possibility of a release trigger is one more reason to keep it pointed in a safe direction until the trigger is released and the gun cleared.

Quote:
I would guess a larger pellet (and possibly a tighter choke) for a longer shot based on ballistics, but I've been wrong before.
You're correct; but, there's another consideration... The shot must also be large enough to get the job done. I'm sure you're aware of terms like bird shot and buck shot. Also, you want your shot just big enough so you maximize your pellet count. If your shot size is over-kill, then you sacrifice the pellet count. You're after a max pellet count -- that's why your shooting shot instead of bullets, in the first place.

Last edited by zippy13; October 30, 2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: CT4S

Page generated in 0.03551 seconds with 8 queries