View Single Post
Old September 29, 2005, 08:47 PM   #11
Wynterbourne

NOTE: After reading this post, I fully understand that I will be flamed. I'm ready to be flamed, to be roasted, to be incinerated by the messages that I am likely to recieve. The incidents that occur below were reckless, stupid, and illegal in most states.

But I've been in the same damn situation before, and am simply relaying what I did in that situation. I'm not saying that it was the right thing to do, or even the sane thing to do, simply what was done. If you take issue with that, flame away.

Spiff, you're giving me a little bit of DejaVu here.

'Bout 11-12 years ago, my Grandmother was lying on her deathbed. It had been a long, slow degradation from a form of skin cancer. She'd reached the point where she was virtually unresponsive and almost vegetative. We all knew that she was holding on for the kids to say goodbye, and that it as ok.

So the family drives in to Georgia from around the country. Some lived local, we lived in Texas, some from Illinois, and some from Florida. My Grandfather, a man who I'd never seen struggle with anything in his life was barely holding it together.

While we're there, the family heads outside and starts to have a heated argument over who's going to get what when my Grandparent's die. The most vocal individuals were an Aunt of mine and her husband who, as much as I hate to say it, is utter scum. They're a leech upon society who's only notable accomplishment is that ALL of their children have managed to serve multiple terms for 'Production of Metha-Amphetamines'. They constantly begged for money, for cars, for rent. I can't think of a time in my life when they haven't been on welfare.

I decide to head outside and see just what the smeg is going on when I see my Grandfather start to cry. I'd never seen this man cry in my life. He didn't cry when his father died. He didn't cry when his sister died. The man was a rock.

I listen for about 20 minutes when I start hearing my Aunt, and her husband, start with the threats. They commented on how most of us lived out of state and how they could simply come and get whatever they wanted. When another one of my Aunts who lived locally started talking about how she held Power of Attorney, and wouldn't let them, the threats of violence started flying.

All the while the rest of the family is STILL arguing over who's going to get what, and how they'll get it out of the house once my Grandfather is dead.

This would be a good time to mention that I wasn't as 'stable' then as I am now.

My response was to go to the van, reach under the driver's seat, and pull out my father's .44 Ruger Redhawk. It's an intimidating little piece with a 7.5" stainless steel barrel and wood grips. Nobody noticed me pull it, nobody noticed me check to make sure there was a round chambered, and nobody noticed me lift it into the air.

*CLICK*...BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM..silence.

At this point I calmly notified them that if I heard one more person make any further statements regarding the disposition of my grandparents property prior to their death, I would happily "shoot them in the face". I further notified them that, as I had a very menial job that didn't mean much, I would be more than happy to drive back to Georgia and rectify the situation should it occur again in the future.

My aunt started to make a comment.

Point...*CLICK*...comment aborted.

I spent the next 4 days with a loaded .44 Ruger with me at all times, and I have to say that it was the most peaceful time I'd spent around my family in years. Of course, it might have something to do with the fact that I was half deaf after firing off a .44 right next to my head.

My Grandfather's only response was to hug me when I came back in.

My family remained civil until my Grandmother's funeral. I was a Pall Bearer, in a grey 3-piece suit, with a .44 Ruger in a hand crafted western holster on my right hip. It was there at my Grandfather's request.

Needless to say, I don't see my family much any more.

We came to find out, after the fact, that a restraining order had been placed against the one Aunt by the other, for stalking and threats of violence at her workplace. We found out even later that someone had peppered the front of their home with shots of 00 buck, shot up her mailbox, and put a couple of slugs into her car. The truck being driven by the attackers looked REMARKABLY like the truck owned by a certain member of my family's husband.

I do not recommend that anyone undertake a course of action similar to the one I took above. It was reckless, immature, and highly unstable. It was just plain stupid, and I could have gotten into a lot of trouble for it. I could have possibly seen jail time for it.

And don't even start on the fact that I pointed a loaded weapon at someone's head. I fully realize what could have happened. Understand, however, that at that time I would have followed through upon my promise.

I wasn't right in the head at that time in my life, if you haven't figured that out.

But that was one of the formative moments in my life. Someone with an extensive history of violence and abuse, when faced with definitive and possibly terminal consequences for their actions, backed down. Upon realization that there was someone out there with the means and capability to do them harm if they did harm upon another person, their sense of self-preservation took hold.

I echo the sentiments of the other people who've commented so far. Go through the motions, file the necessary reports, get the necessary documentation. In today's world the First Commandment should be "Cover Thine Own Ass".

But after that, if your mother is willing, you might consider trying to get her to arm herself with SOME form of weapon. It's better to have something that she can use to defend herself with than nothing. If she's willing, and she recognizes the danger, take her to the range with you. You might even consider it a 'bonding' experience.

Other than that, you can consider travelling with your mother when you can. If she's unwilling to arm herself and train, then it's better that she have someone along with her that is armed and does train. It might be a hassle, but she's family. Family's worth the hassle.

If you can't travel with her, get her some form of a cordless phone, if she doesn't have one. Even a prepaid would work. Program your number into the speed dial for every button on the panel. I'm willing to bet you can get there a whole lot quicker than the local police can.

But in the end, you might consider letting the family know, perhaps in some very general terms if not specifics, that if ANY harm comes to your mother, there will be rather severe consequences to whomever is responsible. Understand that if you do, you WILL be putting yourself in the line of fire. In the end, however, what will decide the issue is whether your Aunt feels that harming your Mother is worth whatever repurcussions might be visitted upon her. Whether said repercussions are from the local judiciary, or from the end of a loaded gun, is not for me to say.

Domestic issues are some of the most emotionally charged, violent issues that can happen. If it escalates to violence, I believe that you will agree that it is highly unlikely that local law enforcement will arrive in time to protect your mother. She either needs to be able to protect herself, or she needs to be protected, whether it be through word or deed.

"You can say ‘stop’ or ‘alto’ or use any other word you think will work, but I’ve found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone’s head is pretty much the universal language." - Clint Smith

9mm. Because no matter how you try to rationalize it, .45 ACP is still for people trying to compensate for -something-.

Page generated in 0.03395 seconds with 8 queries