View Single Post
Old March 22, 2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Nope. But then there aren't any exact scales, either. Everything has some kind of tolerance.

For me, the JDS Quick Measure has given half the variance you are getting with Benchmark and other stick powders. But if you develop a good tolerant load that doesn't shift POI in your rifle until the load has moved about half a grain off-center, then you're immune to the variance you have now and that greater precision becomes less likely to buy you anything practical. That's the kind of load I like to aim for anyway, as it offers better inherent immunity to temperature. Board member Dan Newberry has a site that explains one method of identifying such loads.

If you ever get into spherical propellants, I expect you'll find even greater accuracy of powder charge dispensing from the measure you have, but that's not a guarantee of better accuracy. Powders and bullets and primers have to work well with the rifle you shoot them in, and most rifles favor some combinations over others, usually for reasons of barrel time synchronization with muzzle deflection phase.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03647 seconds with 8 queries