View Single Post
Old November 25, 2002, 04:43 PM   #21
igor

I have a PT99AFD from approx. eight years ago. I replaced my PT99AF with it when the decocker safety came along. I got a feed ramp polishing and a trigger job done out of the box (the feed ramp was terrible) and have been shooting happily ever since. The original slippery wood grips were replaced with some Uncle Mike's neoprene grips that needed a bit of carving to fit my hand. Great shooting.

My choice between Taurus and Beretta was mostly based on the safety system - at the time I considered Condition One a must. Price obviously was a factor too, but after comparing the two pistols side-by-side (a regular Beretta 92FS and my first Taurus 99AF that had had the same really affordable trigger job done as the one I have now) there was no doubt, even trigger-wise. Yes, I admit the slight after-market quality enhancement was necessary, but even with that done I have a better shooting pistol for 100$ less.

But... but... but. The rear sight. The forward pin that penetrates the slide kept shaking loose or to bits. After all kinds of replacements a genius smith put a piece of a drill bit in. Now I need a new slide: what has been said about the Taurus steel quality definitely is most probably correct as well. And I'm getting a model 92 slide and replacing the dovetailed rear sight with an aftermarket adjustable one then. Any recommendations?
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004

Page generated in 0.02799 seconds with 8 queries