View Single Post
Old September 18, 2013, 05:36 PM   #43
bedbugbilly

At 60, I guess that qualifies me as "old" . . . at least to someone younger than me.

Actually, I never owned a "cartridge handgun" until a few years ago as I shot BP for 50 years - I have owned a few cap and ball revolvers over the years.

Actually, at where I am in life right now, I seem to be more interested in "vintage" cartridge revolvers. For me, it's not a case of "replacing" what i may have had in the past and let go . . . it's a case of getting something that I've wanted for a long time but never got around to getting. Life is too short and I have decided that the "present" is the best the to do those things . . . we never know what tomorrow holds for us.

I used to have a LOT of long guns - I promised my wife I would "downsize" and I did over a couple of years . . but then I got interest in shooting cartridge handguns . . . so now i have around a dozen.

In fact . . . I've always wanted a S & W J frame - I found one today - a Model 36 snubbie in pristine shape. Soooooo . . . it followed me home. Cute little thing and it will probably become my new carry.

I have always been interested in reloading . . . just never done it. I decided with the price of 38 spls. (my favorite cartridge) that I would start. My press arrived today int he mail . . . so I figure that I had a good day today!

To me . . . . the "hunt" is almost as much fun as the "finding". I have a "bucket list" . . . . a Smith 36 J frame with a 3" barrel, a nice Model 10 and perhaps several other Smith models. At some point, I'll find 'em.

If you have a hankering to buy something you had as kid . . . I say "go for it". Don't put it off . . . enjoy it while you can and have fun. And in that fun . . . I hope you run across a young person who has an interest in shooting that you can take under your wing and gun safety and shooting to so that they will have the same type of memories that you do.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.02689 seconds with 8 queries