View Single Post
Old July 17, 2006, 06:06 PM   #22
HorseSoldier

Quote:
Wolves are known as man-eaters throughout the world, don’t be fooled by unfounded rhetoric that “there has never been a documented wolf attack on humans” or “wolves are needed within our ecosystem to allow natural management to begin”. Lewis and Clark didn’t eat horsemeat when exploring the west because they wanted to; the wolf population was so large that game (deer, elk and moose) was in such short supply that they had to kill one of their own horses to survive.
I'm not saying wolves have never, ever attacked a human being, but I kind of have to question the Lewis and Clark bit. If the amount of game was so utterly scarce in the environment due to wolf predation, then how did all those Indians manage to make it through the same winter, despite outnumbering the L&C expedition by thousands to one? There must not have been a horse alive by spring anywhere west of the Mississippi River.

I'm suspecting attributing inabilities to successfully hunt food with firearms to the predation of wolves . . .

a) made for a better story by raising the specter of scary, evil wolves, since everyone "knew" they were ravenous, murderous beasts and all that, and also

b) made for a better story than saying "our hunting skills, honed in the forests of the east just did not quite cut the mustard out west during that winter . . ."

Page generated in 0.03651 seconds with 8 queries