View Single Post
Old August 7, 2012, 10:03 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

Oneounce, There you go saying that the serviceman is responsible for his Mossberg discharging on ship due to a failure to maintain his weapon in an unsafe manner and, yet, you still have not said what he did that was unsafe.

The only unsafe action of his that I can imagine is keeping a round in the chamber. He was aboard ship. We do not know that he was in a combat area. Ships roll and get tossed by waves. We do not know if it was rapidly maneuvering or not. I spent a career arguing when an accidental incident is a neglighent one and determination of negligence rides on if an act or ommission was reasonable under the circumstances. Why you fault the serviceman for negligence is beyond me, unless the unreasonable act was keeping a round in a chamber.

A round in the chamber in your home is one thing. A round in the chamber aboard a ship, and possible in confined areas and ladderways, is another.

I would add that part of problem is related to design of older Mossbergs. the weapon functioned as designed. That is not maintenance but the provence of the armorer and the service. The individual serviceman had better not be modifying his weapon. (For a very brief time I ran a squadron small armory.)

Page generated in 0.02437 seconds with 8 queries