View Single Post
Old April 10, 2011, 10:18 AM   #14
garryc

Quote:
I know that many LEOs [myself, included] are worried about getting sued. I also know that this fear [which is obviously justified in this litigious society] has caused more than one of my colleagues to hesitate at the critical moment. It's caused many of us to pause for thought before striking a defensive blow or even firing in self-defense, and this hesitation has disastrous consequences for the LEOs in question. I know that one has to have considered all of these thoughts and issues and worked them out before one pins on a badge. That includes legal worries as well as whatever moral or religious qualms one may have concerning self-defense. The time for careful planning and working thorny issues out is before the critical incident, not during. Sadly, many of my brethren in blue don't do this, and it comes with a high price.

I'm in a worse situation. If I get attacked I am by myself. The only witness's are convicted felons. Management questions and takes their word. So, sad as it seems, in the law suit sense, and in some ways internally, I'm better off if I sustain some damage before responding.

Page generated in 0.02402 seconds with 8 queries