View Single Post
Old October 1, 2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Salmoneye

When I was younger, there was a restaurant south of Burlington, VT that had the largest private collection of arms I have ever seen...

The restaurant was huge, and sprawling, and each room was a different theme...Started literally as a 'Hot Dog Stand', by a guy everyone called 'Doc White'...His collection of guns was added to by the fact that he opened the largest gun store in the area...It was physically connected to the restaurant...Also it helped that Doc was good friends with the Webbs, and in particular the ones that created the 'Shelburne Museum'...

The restaurant 'collection' included real skeletons, a Mummy case, suits of armor; a WWI water cooled machine gun sat on the piano in the piano bar...There were secret passage ways that the waiters would 'disappear' through...One room was all African weapons, spears, and shields...It was a dining 'experience'...

The guns were too numerous to count as a kid ...

A HUGE colt (3x normal size?) 'Peacemaker' (salesman sample?) boxed display was set into the wall on your way through the front door, complete with 6 scaled up ".45 Colt" cartridges...I would stare at it as a kid till my food was cold...

They had what they referred to as the 'Vatican Gun'...It was an extremely ornate pin mounted 16th(?) century 'cannon' that sat on the walls at the Vatican, and was fired to summon the Swiss Guard if attacked...

Hundreds of lever actions in racks...Same for flintlocks, caplocks, pinfire, Wall after wall of handguns from derringers to lugers...

I loved that place as a kid in the 60's...

It was torn down a couple of weeks ago...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...arbor-Hideaway

Page generated in 0.04001 seconds with 8 queries