Thread: 180's in an M1A
View Single Post
Old August 16, 2002, 09:46 AM   #2
moredes

A few sources I trust (Zediker, Snipershide for two) say that Varget is too slow a powder for an M1A. 180 is the verymost upper limit on an unvented gun, and the consensus is 175 SMK's are the accepted normal heavyweight. Powders I've seen recommended without dissent are IMR 4064, IMR 4895, RL-15, Benchmark, WW748, Ramshot TAC, BL(C)-2, N140 and 150. There are volumnous posts on the 'net on the compatability of 4064 and 4895 use with the M1A. The IMR's and especially BL(C)-2, WW748 have a reputation of being sensitive to temperature. I have found sporadic input on the rest, here and there, with no real overwhelming trend towards any one of the other powders.

Basically, the "geezers" shoot/stay with, the IMR's; the new blood or curious are trying the other powders. I suspect the lack of an overwhelming migration to one of the non IMR powders is more the unwillingness to leave a known load to experiment with another powder and work up a new load, coupled with the economics of having to abandon a successful powder to the shelf.

Page generated in 0.02482 seconds with 8 queries