View Single Post
Old March 18, 2013, 09:09 PM   #11
feets

A second batch of 30 carbine brass was tumbled.

This brass was tumbled in the Lyman green corn cob. No additive was used.
The cases had a green residue on them. At the time I thought it was some sort of corrosion. I stuffed the cases in a ziplock bag and put it away.

Fast forward several months.

I was having good results with raw long grain rice treated with a small amount of Frankford Arsenal case polish. I tried tumbling these cases again. The rice took off the green dust but left the black stuff that was under the dust.

I'm trying to figure out where the waxy stuff came from. It is not on any of my other brass. That eliminates the media. My 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 38 spl, 7 TCU, 300 WM, 454, 460, 308, and 22-250 cases are all free of this stuff.
It is not the tumbling media. All the rice has done is remove the dust left behind by the Lyman green stuff.

This second batch was tumbled for a longer time in the rice and it looks great other than the nasty stuff. It's cleaner inside than what I used to get with the Lyman product.

Again, these were factory loads. None of them had ever seen my loading bench. I can not feel any residue on new ammunition from the same case.

Page generated in 0.03617 seconds with 8 queries