View Single Post
Old November 8, 2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Claddagh

I recall reading a Sherlock Holmes story (can't remember its name at the moment) where Watson returns to Baker St. and finds Holmes putting the finishing touches on a "VR" (Victoria Regina) monogram in the wall of his flat with a "Flobert" pistol. "Parlor " shooting games were a popular pastime in the late 19th/early 20th century both in Europe and here.

IIRC, the arms came from many makers, but "Flobert" became the generic name for them as he invented the ammunition they used, usually a very small caliber lead ball seated into a precussion cap-type case.

I've seen several iterations of the type over the years. For instance, Dixie Gun Works used to sell a Spanish-made "pepperbox" revolver (may have been "Star") which used standard percussion caps and .22 air rifle pellets. Cabela's and others a Pederoli a Remington "Ryder" parlor pistol repro that fired 4.5 mm lead balls. I've also seen the ads for the current Pedersolis which are set-up to use 209 primers and .22 lead pellets.

I also seem to recall reading about a Mexican-made (Mendoza, perhaps?) item a good many years ago which utilized a crimped .22 blank instead of a percussion cap. IIRC, there were referrences in the article to other models, some of which were said to be designed to use a small charge of powder, but its type (black or smokeless) and what sort of projectiles were needed escapes me.

Page generated in 0.03524 seconds with 8 queries