View Single Post
Old June 30, 2013, 09:01 AM   #53
RsqVet

I own multiples of both. All the 686's are pre lock / mim and all the rugers have had the triggers worked over. Few older smiths "need" trigger work for me, all new ones I have examined do. More recent rugers seem better but still smooth out with a quick action job.

Either is a great gun, for new I would go ruger, for used whatever you get a good deal on, if you get a 686-5 or earlier it will be no lock, -4 will be no lock / no mim. Bought right you will not loose money on a -4. Used ruger gp100 will run about 100 bucks cheaper or more than the 686.

On the sunject of nothing new is good, I disagree strongly. New smiths to most anyone's critical evaluation are a bit less good than the old guns even the few they make without locks. To me less good means they need a trigger job, to others it might be something else. There are a host of guns that are better! The new gp100 for one, the new mini 14. New colt 1911's are better than what I first knew to be colt in the late 90's, they now offet s70 guns too! The overall accuracy of off the shelf bolt action rifles is much better now than 20-30 years prior even if tje guns are less attractive on average.

So there are lots of good new guns. Then there is also the ruger mk III! And a few others...

Last edited by RsqVet; June 30, 2013 at 09:13 AM.

Page generated in 0.02042 seconds with 8 queries