View Single Post
Old February 21, 2010, 10:32 PM   #1
govmule84

My shop isn't much help...

...encouraging me to buy a gun. I'm looking to blow some tax return money. I'd like a few specific things, but the shop doesn't seem to want to help me, and I haven't had time to go gallavanting all over the hillside finding a gun. Plus, the shops all seem to bust my stones here in the city - nobody hunts, and everyone keeps asking me why I want the setup I am asking after...

I've got my eye on a new shotgun. I want a 12 gauge. I do not want a semi-auto (not legal for hunting deer in my WMU, and I do not know how they work all that well.) Pump, single-shot, and bolt are all fine. I would like a one-barrel setup; I could be talked into two barrels if I had to be. But I'd prefer one.

I'm looking for a barrel that is 18-20 inches in length, non-rifled, choked no fuller than a Modified. I would also like that barrel to have rifle sights, so I can use the same gun for bunny, squirrel, deer, and wingy-thingies. I do not want a scope, nor do I need one - the area I am hunting provides for amazingly short shots (there's brush everywhere). I'd prefer wood furniture, but it's not a dealbreaker. I want that short barrel for HD duty, as well as the added ease of hunting with a shorter gun. I understand the difference, have had long-barreled guns, and prefer the shorties.

I wanted (or thought I wanted) a Remington 25015 - a Police Magnum that has nice wood furniture, and a smooth, Improved Cylinder 18" barrel. My dealer says they don't make that anymore?! (I know I can get an Express model, but I have heard they've had some QC issues as of late, and I like some of the features the P. Mag has. I don't mind dropping the extra coin.)I think he's BS'ing me, but whatever... maybe they really don't. But it is on their website.

So...does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really like an H&R topper, to be honest, but they don't have a model like I am after with rifle sights for deer. I don't have a local gunsmith that I trust to do an install for me, unfortunately. I have an old, old Eastern Field 12g. breakopen now that I love! It hunts just dandy, but I got it in poor condition, and it ain't getting much better. It's beat up, but works great. It has some pitting and dents, and the furniture is shot on it, so I don't want to spend much money on it, but if I could find a similar gun with rifle sights (mine does not have them), I'd be in business, probably for cheap! I really like how short and light it is, and the single shot guns tend to leave lots of money left over for ammunition! I'd even take a longer-barreled version, if it had adjustable sights, but I can't find me one...

Does H&R offer some sort of plain-jane Topper with a set of rifle sights on it?

Does someone else make something I haven't thought of?

Thanks!
-L.

Page generated in 0.02328 seconds with 8 queries