View Single Post
Old May 18, 2005, 06:19 PM   #12
Malamute

I feel two handed is more accurate, and faster for repeat shots, but a well rounded shooter should be able to shoot one handed as well. Some point shooting is good, as well as weak hand shooting, one and two handed.

I read on the forums of shooters that say they only shoot up to about 7 yards or so, figuring that this is as far as most gunfights take place. Seems rather limiting. As mentioned above, a well rounded shooter should be able to cover many aspects of the game, not just a narrow one. After shooting in open country, where we regularly plink out to a couple hundred yards or more, the close stuff is pretty simple. I have seen shooters that only shoot up close try it in the open. It usually isn't a pretty sight. Hunting small game with a pistol is also good practice. Running rabbits and squirrels in trees sharpen you up.

Elmer Keith wrote about practicing drawing a revolver from a right handed holster with his left hand, shooting the gun upside down pulling the trigger with the little finger. Sounds odd, but if reaching for the gun with the left hand, that is how you get it. I've tried it, and with practice, it is an effective close range technique. Try it with a brick of 22's through your practice gun and see if in doubt.

I believe years ago, it was considered "unmanly" to shoot a pistol two handed, or was somehow "cheating". With more competition, and with people more interested in results than apearance, two handed shooting became common and accepted. Even back in the frontier days, there were some people that shot two handed. I just don't think it was as common.

Page generated in 0.02610 seconds with 8 queries