Thread: And Again
View Single Post
Old October 11, 2000, 12:45 PM   #13
Paul B.

I don't know if this will clear up any confusion on why the gentleman was on "bear guard" unarmed, but when I was working for the National Weather Service, a job opening for a person to go into wilderness country complete with bears, to service and maintain remote weather and rain measuring devices. As I qualified for the postion, and the thought of a bi-yearly three month pack trip into into really pristine country turned me on, I applied for the job. After being selected, I found out that GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS forbad me to have any firearms in my possession while on the pack trip.
Here I am, being sent into grizzly country without any means of protection. I declined the position.
I am willing to bet some serious money, that the man mauled by that bear was under the same STUPID government regulations. If I understand the situation, he was on a government owned facility. They have regs forbidding guns on those too. I mean let's face it. The guy might have gone "postal" and shot that innocent bear. Sorry. The weather has been too bad to go to the range for the last 5 days, and now it's raining. I have to rant about something.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.03558 seconds with 8 queries