View Single Post
Old March 9, 2012, 09:26 AM   #15
johnwilliamson062

I started hunting four years ago at 23.
I have two mentors. One is sort of a "good ol' boy" and one is a Biology instructor at a university, and they take totally different approaches to hunting. Both have a lot of knowledge though. I have sucked up as much of it as I can.
This last year was the first time I went deer hunting and felt like I made same decent decisions on my own.

I started with squirrel hunting. I enjoy eating squirrel though(you should try it if you have not). The main problem with it is it is so small there is hardly any meat.

Spend as much time as you can tracking out of season. Big animals follow predictable patterns(although they get a little turned around here in gun season). If you know what they are doing a month before season they will likely do that until they get shot at once or twice during season. If there is a well worn game path chances are good one or more animals pass on it DAILY. you stay out there quiet all day, chances are they will pass by. I have had better luck in the two day and less hunted Ohio bonus gun and muzzle loader seasons than the 7 day gun. There may be a similar effect in Arizona.

IT is going to be boring. Don't be afraid to fall asleep, especially if you do not snore. One of my correct decisions this year was to fall asleep. I was more quiet than when awake and the I woke up easily when the buck I shot was approaching.

Be patient. don't move or shoot when the animal is far away. This year I sat as the buck and doe approached from thirty yards, where they were when I woke up, without moving until they got to 10. At ten i shouldered my rifle quickly and fired. Had i tried to slowly shoulder my rifle as they approached they surely would have seen me.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.02691 seconds with 8 queries