View Single Post
Old June 17, 2013, 10:45 PM   #40
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

That's a good idea, on the shelf liner. What I use is drafting board covering. It has a light green, flat color that the parts stick out on, and since its rubber, it pads the whole gun. You used to be able to buy this at Office Depot, though I don't know if they still carry it. I think you can find it on eBay and Amazon, though. I bought extra when I last covered my drafting table, but that was a good while back.

I saw somewhere on the net, that a guy had fabricated wooden parts boxes for the guns in his shop, and they were made to hold every part, including the barrel. They kind of looked like a wood tool tote, like carpenters make up. They had them numbered, and they stayed with the gun through the work. I actually thought about making some of these myself.

Another trick, on storing buffing polish, is to buy the round, plastic, welding rod boxes. You need the 4" diameter ones, with the screw on tops, as they have a rubber o-ring, that seals them off to the air. They run about $11.00 each, but that's not bad for say, four sticks of polish. Just write the polish grit on them with a label, and you're all set. They'll hold a roll and 1/2 of polish.

I keep parts cleaner in one of those sealed containers, similar to Tupperware, but made by Zip-Lock (they're really cheap). The lid keeps you from spilling it, and it wont evaporate.

Page generated in 0.02551 seconds with 8 queries