View Single Post
Old February 10, 2010, 03:05 AM   #9
bamaranger

I missed this post earlier......

and I try to get in on all the "scout" posts.

I think Cooper did consider stripper clips on scouts an option, his Steyer inspired product didn't have it, neither did the Rem 600 variant, but it seems like the "lion scout" an '06 on a Springfield action I believe, did. I recall reading that one of the virtues of the forward mount was that it allowed stripper loading, though a custom rifle is the only manifestation of the principal.

As far as interest and fascination goes, I think it was all about use and practicality. Cooper stressed speed AND accuracy in his writings. The IER scope acts much like a peep or aperture. Mount the rifle, cover the target, focus and press. The reticule appears on the target like a magnified front post, in crosshair form. Faster than an aperture or a higher magnification scope. I see it as the predecessor to the red dots and chevron scopes so popular today. In that regard, I think Cooper was AHEAD of his time, as red dots were not as advanced, common or reliable as now. Does it not seem to anybody else that a dot scope, , with minimal magnification, shot both eyes open, is nothing but a modern, techno scoutscope?

Bipods? Well the Steyer has one integral. There was the Clifton stock, but they are gone. I bolt on Harris or similar defeats the purpose of the rifle for me, adding to much weight.

As far as the OP concerning 100 and 200 meter shooting, the posters results have not been my own experience. My early Savage scout, with std trigger and a Leu IER, first w/ a duplex, would shoot 1 MOA off the bench with my best ammo at 100 yds. A 4" clay pigeon was a good 100 yd practice target. Now, w/ a ger #1 reticule , it will do about 1.5 MOA, as it seems the reticule is not as precise on paper. But the #1 seems must faster in the field. At 200 yds, I can consistently ring a 9" gong at my buddy's pasture range, from field positions, and a smaller 6" is in danger at 225+ if I do my part. I say this not to brag as a marksman, but to show the capabilities of the rifle. My friend, who is a much better shot than I, can do the same and better. His range goes to a measured 600, but I have not tried the Scout any further.

I have not experienced the low sun from the rear problem others have discussed, but I have heard it enough to believe it is sometimes an issue. I did have trouble seeing the reticule against the ground and game in low light, but believe I have solved that problem w/ the thick #1 . It was way cheaper than a quality red dot too. The #1 does not allow for holdover, the post blocks the target. With a zero of 2" high at 100 yds, I figure I can hold on to 200 yds. My use of a Scout has been in wooded conditions, and 200 yds in the sticks is a long way. I could stretch the range to by holding just under the hairline, but do not see the circumstances presenting themselves.

The low magnification is a disadvantage on small targets, but I do not use the Scout as a varminter or plinker. I cannot count points on deer w/ 2.5x, but have a set of binos for general spotting.

The Choate sniper and varmint stocks are monsters, the stock alone weighs 6-1/2 lbs. Not a hunting stock.

I have not had the mag fall out of my early savage scout. I did goober up the reassembly of some parts when the action was out of the stock, and had to pry a mag from the stock, ruining the mag, but that was my fault. The early accutrigger Savages have terrible butt pads, most I have examined at shows and shops are loose or damaged. My early generation rifle was not so vexed, but still I had local trap/skeet outfit put a thin Kick-Eeze pad on mine, beveled and tapered as in a sporting clays shotgun, and I really like it.

My early rifle has an awful, boxy, flimsy factory stock and I am searching for a stiffer replacement. Because it has a std. trigger and the round/flat action, non of the factory second generation, or accu-stocks are an option.

My use actually seems very similar to the OP's use on hogs and deer in the swamps, with which I am very satisfied.

BTW, loose that goofy factory nylon "shooting sling". Consider a genuine ching sling from Langoluis, or a '03 military sling, both of which you can "loop up" in. I have modified a traditional two point carry sling to serve as a shooting sling, when released from the rear swivel, w/o the excess straps and buckles of the Savage snake. If I ever find a stiffer stock......it'll prove useful.

Page generated in 0.06815 seconds with 8 queries