View Single Post
Old October 14, 2005, 08:27 PM   #15
Double Naught Spy

I've read two of his books. Grossman has some informative and helpful things to say, but that does not make everything he says correct.

Take the classification here, sheep, wolves, sheepdogs. This is a grossly over simplified classification of human behavior that is really pretty pathetic. In other terms, there would be victims, villans, and heroes. All of us CCW folks would like to think we are sheepdog heroes, like butch50 mentions, but that is hardly the case.

What happens to CCW people when they don't have guns? According to several posters on this forum and The High Road, if they don't have a gun, they are defenseless. So those guys must be the part time sheepdogs and part time sheep? No, they are just sheep who are sometimes armed, but arming them doesn't make them sheepdogs.

In fact, there are a lot of sheep that are armed. They are armed because they are scared. They have no intent to help others and no misgivings about not helping others. Their goal is to remain alive. Is that bad? Not really. Most didn't buy guns to be sheepdogs. They bought guns to stay alive. If they wanted to be sheepdogs, they would be cops. Both cops and sheepdogs are supposed to protect the herd and they do so because it is their jobs, not because they look like a sheep and wonder around with the crowd of sheep. It is what they do for a living. Both are to protect the sheep and fight to keep the sheep safe.

Few of us want to be cops, but a lot of us think we are sheepdogs.

Page generated in 0.03167 seconds with 8 queries