View Single Post
Old October 21, 2012, 12:23 PM   #31
sidewindr

Grumpa72, you shouldn't have to use any jacket or plated bullets to clean out leading, it shouldn't be there in the first place(I'n not trying to be synical or disrespectfull). When I first started I had leading and played around ect, and got it down to a minimum, so I thought I would do the jacketed trick also. Then came along my first few custom molds that dropped bullets bigger than what I could get commercially. Then I started sizing my bullets as big as any of my guns could chamber(I knew the size of the barrel by slugging them earlier), but some could go another thou bigger yet. After doing that, my leading just dissapeared. I now can play around with different powders and charge weight without even worring about leading. The saying is FIT is king, and after that all will be good in the kingdom
The problem that does arise is now I have seperate bullet sizes in each caliber because some barrels are up to .003" bigger than another, but it is the best way to enjoy lead without have leading or be right on the edge of it.

Another good help is to take a bore mop and saturate it with fine/ultra fine metal polish and polish the bore to a mirror-like finish. It helps keep the lead from sticking.

Page generated in 0.02206 seconds with 8 queries