View Single Post
Old December 13, 2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Viper225

I picked up a 66-2 with 3" barrel a while back that had a different bracket on the Hogue Rubber grip. I am guessing this was a very old set of Hogue Rubber Grips. Picture the spring steel stirrup without the NUT attached to the bottom end. It is installed upside down with the end with the holes down, instead of over the grip locator pin. The grip locator pin was removed. The Nut was a round aluminum barrel with the ends turned down to fit in the holes on the stirrup. This aluminum Barrel NUT was threaded for the grip attachment screw.
I am guessing that this set up was a pain to get everything aligned. With the bracket floating around on the bottom of the grip, and also the barrel nut could get turned so the threaded hole was not pointed down.

The new model bracket that attached to the grip locator pin was a major improvement over this set up.

Like some above, at one time I put Hogue Rubber on every Smith & Wesson I bought. The last few years I am going the other direction. I am replacing the Houges and Pachmayers with nice wood grips. I am down to just my 617 Round Butt, and my 64-3 SSR Gun having my S&W's all in wood. I may leave the 64 with the Houges on it.
My 480 Ruger Super RedHawks both have Hogue Tamers on them. They are on to stay also. Pretty much a required grip on the 480 Ruger.

Bob

Last edited by Viper225; December 13, 2012 at 07:15 AM.

Page generated in 0.02167 seconds with 8 queries