View Single Post
Old August 5, 2009, 03:18 PM   #14
CortJestir

Quote:
A lot of people kept telling me that buying parts and building an AR-15 on my own would cost me less than buying a complete rifle. I have serious doubts about this. I tried to look at the QUALITY components from which a good brand AR-15 is made and attach price tag to them and it looks to me that actually it is cheaper to buy a complete weapon. I am only talking about costs, not other benefits that "building it the way you want it" would bring. Also, I only am talking about DI rifles because with gas piston AR-15s it is very obvious by now that the new Ruger beats any price at $1,500+ a piece fully assembled with all nice things included.

Doing it yourself may still be slightly cheaper if you are using the cheapest and lowest quality parts but then the question is - do you really want such a rifle in your arsenal? What do you think?
Consider the following (all prices MSRP):

Option 1
Fully Assembled Stag Model 2: $935

Option 2
Complete Stag Lower Half Tactical: $290
Complete Stag Upper 2H: $530

These two options are the same exact rifle. Only difference is you have to snap option #2 together and you save $115 - more than 10% off the cost of the complete.

Of course, you may not get the lifetime warranty going the separates route, but you hardly ever do when building your own anyway so it's a moot point.

Now, these prices are for complete lowers and upper assemblies. Imagine how it can get even less expensive if you build each lower and upper assembly from the ground up and you shop around for good deals. This is the beauty of the AR platform - get exactly what you want, know what you put into your rifle, and save some money.

Page generated in 0.03647 seconds with 8 queries