Thread: 44 spl?
View Single Post
Old December 2, 2007, 06:00 PM   #2
TexasSeaRay

I load 44 Spc but I haven't loaded any jacketed bullets in quite a while. And I've never used the powder you're using (nothing wrong with it, just never have tried it)

My rule of thumb is to never load max powder charges my first run out. If I need/want factory specs, then I'll buy factory ammo. Most of my reloading is for plinking/practice.

With that said, I would err on the side of the lower charge. It should take slightly more powder to push a heavier bullet, but again, look at your charts and see what the pressure and fps is. If they are similar between the two bullets, I would stay somewhere in the middle and only load up twelve to eighteen. Keep notes of how much powder you used, and when you're at the range, make notes of how the round performed.

It normally takes me several shooting trips before I find a load I really like--that's why I only load a few first time out.

As far as bullet length and overall cartridge length, I'm always more concerned with seating depth rather than overall length of cartridge.

There will be others that can/will give you a lot more specific advice on this, I'm sure, but for now hopefully this will address your concerns.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.

Page generated in 0.03749 seconds with 8 queries