Thread: Sorting Brass
View Single Post
Old June 25, 2013, 02:43 PM   #64
schmellba99

Quote:
You guys have convinced me. From now on its mixed head stamps, mixed primers and mixed bullets. Just don't have the time to do all that sort'en and deal'en with details. All this work'en up loads stuff is just nonsense.
Way to take something and blow it completely out of context. Who here has said that mixing bullets was an acceptable practice?

Is it really that difficult to believe that if you are shooting holes in paper at modest ranges with modest loads "just for fun" (some of us actually shoot just for fun), that spending umpteen hours sorting headstamps is going to be beneficial?

I can assure you that it is not beneficial to everybody.

Quote:
When I was a kid in the '50's and '60's, it was common to hear, "...re-loads are not good!". The reason that non-hand loaders considered the act of re-loading a brass casing output with suspicion is that there were many bad results of such practices.
Bad practices and not sorting headstamps on brass for pistol cases are not necessarily one and the same. It really is a rather simple concept.

Quote:
I can assure you, my handloads are as good as, or better than factory ammunition. If you cannot make that statement, there may be room for introspection.
I don't sort my plinking loads by head stamp, and I can assure you that they are as good or better than factory as well. They seem to make holes in paper where and when I want them to. And you are also making great assumptions that even the same lot of factory brass is somewhat uniform. I can assure you that in many cases, it is far from it outside of the stamp on the head of the case.

Quote:
As for sorting head stamps taking too much time, that is complete non-sense...you only have to sort them once. After than shoot them in lots containing only one head stamp. If you have "thousands" of cases, that should not be a problem.
Time is money and money is time. And it's not always as easy as sorting them once, then shooting them in lots.

Quote:
If you are a handloader that does not practice consistency, you are part of the reason that there are people who still think that, "Reloads are no good!"
If you hang out with folks that think reloads are no good, you hang out with some close minded folks.

It all goes back to what you consider necessary. For you, obviously, hand sorting and fine inspecting everything is for whatever reason a necessary aspect to your personal style of reloading. More power to you. Maybe when I have ample free time I'll change my tune and have the same mentality.

But for now, dispensing with things like sorting by headstamp for rounds that are relegated to shooting cans or punching holes in paper at the range is not something I'll justify my time for. Especially when those holes end up in the same place whether or not that headstamp says Winchester or Remington or Speer or Nosler or what have you.

Your way is not wrong; your way is not right. Your way is your way. Just like mine and everybody else on here that does things just a smidge different.

Page generated in 0.02434 seconds with 8 queries