View Single Post
Old May 5, 2012, 09:52 PM   #13
Gerry

If you feel more comfortable shooting an open gun in open division, I say go for it and have fun. I know a few people who shot open from the very start and never competed in anything else.

High cap mags may be better for you, but for people who can't count past 9 or 10 like myself, it's a disaster! In all seriousness, it seems a lot of newcomers shooting USPSA fall into the trap of thinking more rounds in the mag can make up for a lack of stage planning skills. Take my word for it, it doesn't.

If you're "worrying" about reloading, you should work on your mag changing in the comfort of your house until you can reload without fumbling from all your mag pouches without even thinking about it. Dummy rounds help with the weight. Start slow and do it right from pouch #1, and slowly work up the speed. Then #2, etc. Use a timer (cellphone app will do) on PAR mode so that you're setting goals and tracking progress. Reloading, draw, grabbing your gun from a table, running up range, or anything else should not worry you. Keeping safe while doing these things (finger out of the trigger guard, gun pointed downrange, etc.) should be automatic, and represent fundamental skills you can develop at home without even dry firing your gun.

Page generated in 0.02855 seconds with 8 queries