View Single Post
Old January 26, 2005, 09:55 PM   #8
shep854

Handguns are MUCH harder to shoot well than rifles. The lighter weight, instability and shorter sight radius combine to make this true. with handguns, all movement is magnified, so precise sight alignment and correct trigger movement are absolutely essential for accurate shooting.

Recently, I've gone back to the basics, as I realized how much ammunition I was wasting. This involves a .22 pistol (Browning Buckmark for me), paper targets at 10 yards, and lots of time, ammo and patience. What I'm doing is one-hand slow fire, to concentrate on alignment and trigger squeeze. I have been "pushing" my shots up and away from the shooting hand. so I'm slowing waaay down, and focussing on my trigger squeeze & holding the sights steady. Today, I was at the range for three hours. Toward the end, my shots were begining to group close around the aim point. I plan to go back out tomorrow and do it some more.

There isn't a quick way to become a really good shooter. You have to be patient, and take your time until it becomes consistent; then you can begin to speed up. Many people just miss fast, and get lucky hits.

Page generated in 0.02311 seconds with 8 queries