View Single Post
Old February 10, 2012, 01:06 PM   #23
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
I'm really new to shooting, only 150 rounds ago I learned how to control recoil. I went from just pointing and shooting to trying to control that B*#*% and get the sights back on target pretty fast.

At 21' I can shoot about a 5 inch group pretty fast( with my glock 22 .40 cal), how tight do ya think it should be before moving back?

And while I can control the gun during recoil I think I can save a lot of time if I could line the sights up a lot faster. I will practice with the .22 for now but sometime in the future I might get a 40-9 conversion so I can practice with a little more recoil.
Serious answer and I can hear the screams of anguish now is forget the SD drills for right now and practice marksmanship.

Buy your choice of 22 ammo by the case and a set of snap caps for your guns. Dry fire drills at home and slow fire at the range. When you can keep 8 or 9 shots out of 10 in the black at a slow fire target and I don't care if its 50' or 50 yards you are ready for some fun shooting namely time and rapid fire.

Get a timer to help time you or shoot with a friend and time each other. You aren't trying to learn to shoot fast but to get all of your shots on target in a short period of time. Unlike what most will insist it is not the first shot that wins a gun fight but the first good shot. Spend at least part of your time during or at the end of your session with the weak hand/strong hand drills.

When you are shooting better than 80% at a standard bullseye target at a fixed range and you transition back to a silhouette target without a set aiming point there is a brief period of adjustment but it won't take long. Do not make the rookie mistake of chasing your bullet holes. That means you shoot, the bullet landed in a good spot and you shoot at the bullet hole. Do NOT do that. If your sights are off an inch at that range you are good, if you start chasing your bullet holes your next shot will be an inch from that or 2" from your original aiming point.

Keep your focus on your sight and your sight on one part of the target and shoot till your gun is empty. You are shooting for group not bulls eyes. If you find you need to change your aiming point you can do that next time around. If you need to change your sights do it the next time around. Right now you are only shooting for group.

Don't worry about flyers, keep practicing the fundamentals and they will diminish. Do not worry about your group size, it will shrink as you get better. Do not get all down on yourself because not every shot goes where you want it to. I have been practicing and competing for nearly 50 years and I didn't get started till I was in my middle 20's. I still don't have all my shots go where I want them to. Don't worry about that one, don't worry about the next one. Just relax, have fun and concentrate on your frontsight and trigger pull.

It takes a lot of gun powder and even more trigger time to make a shooter, do not think you can do it over night, that leads to frustration and irritation and depression and giving up. Be patient, keep grinning, enjoy the fun part of it and the serious part will happen a lot faster. Get in to big of a hurry and it won't happen at all.

Dos Centavos from a dinosaur who made every rookie mistake there was to make because I was a hard headed Bohunk who didn't listen to his coach for 18 months. How was I supposed to know he was an Olympic caliber shooter, he never talked about it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Page generated in 0.02468 seconds with 8 queries