View Single Post
Old July 20, 2011, 02:15 PM   #15
Double Naught Spy

None of the US SD laws dictate distance. It may be contact to infinity. Remember, you may be engaged in self defenses via defense of another at distances much greater than typical for normal self defense of just one's self.

In other words, distance isn't likely to be an issue so long as the criteria for self defense are being met, those usually being along the lines of the bad guy showing intent, opportunity, and ability to cause significant bodily harm or death to you or another. If that person has a gun and points it at you at 50 yards in a threatening manner, I would much rather have a shotgun with slugs for SD than a pistol.

If you want to claim that 25 yards might be too far for self defense, then you have to also note that 25 feet might be too far as well. In other words, distance is situational and not definitive unto itself. Remember, if you were in Austin on Augest 1, 1966, self defense distance was nearly anything within view of the clocktower, Whitman making his longest shot at something like 420 yards.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; July 22, 2011 at 08:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.03790 seconds with 8 queries