Thread: 1000 Yard Rifle
View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 12:58 PM   #42
Jimro

Quote:
Very cool read there Bart thanks . I'm a little bummed that a fluted barrel of the same diameter as a non-fluted barrel is really just over half as rigid . I would have thought 75% to 85% or to put it another way a fluted barrel would be 15% to 25% less rigid not 40% less rigid wow .

Barrel rigidity isn't a huge issue as far as accuracy is concerned, repeatable harmonics are a much bigger issue. Bart B. has reminded us that barrels walk because of uneven shoulder pressure, out of true bore external dimensions, or internal stresses in the barrel as the barrel heats, not because the steel sags. My research into steel sagging says differently, but that focused on the effects of gravity on a horizontal barrel producing different deflection at different temperatures.

A fluted barrel will always be more rigid than a non fluted barrel of the same mass, because the non fluted barrel will be longer and skinnier. A non-fluted barrel will always be more rigid than a fluted barrel of the same diameter. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Jimro

Page generated in 0.03115 seconds with 8 queries