View Single Post
Old May 31, 1999, 12:59 PM   #6
Rob Pincus

Mikey,

Like I said, I din't see any guns like the one I described, nor any master shooters... I was trying to be hypothetical about it. You could throw "Custom Glock" in there just as easily, with a 3.5# connector, polished innards, and the same low-power relaods.

I wasn't targeting you or anyone else, just a theoretical "gamer".. truthfully, I had no idea you were using Reloads. Sorry .

I am just trying to figure this out. For the last few years all I have heard is "Oh, you gotta go shoot IDPA, it is the real deal...yadda yadda yadda...."

Now, I go try it out and, hell yeah it is fun, but it is also more game than I was lead to believe. I'm a training purist, while it is great that guys are getting out and doing this as opposed to standing in front of a target shooting at the X-ring all day, or shooting some other, less realistic, competition, I still am looking for that Holy Grail activity, that makes completely realistic training fun.

I know a lot of guys who carry customized 1911s,(don't tell anyone, but I carry my Caspian every now & then), but none of them carry more than one extra mag.
The only guys I know who carry openly are wearing duty belts and/or badges.

I watched you shoot a couple stages, and we aren't very far apart in skill. I'm the first to admit that the reason my score was so low is because of the way I shot the match, not any superior skill. As we discussed at your truck, I think the key in that Unlimited Vicker is the pick-up shots. That means focusing 100% attention on your target and being able to reload quickly if necessary. I happen to feel that those two things are also very important to real defensive shooting. If real BGs show up, no one is going to tell you "2 shots per target", and you're a lot more likely to fizte on them than you are your front sight.

Notice how far my score fell when I was using the revolver, and taking 4+ seconds to reload. Unless I was making up for 3 misses, it wasn't worth reloading with the revolver, consider that lesson learned. That is also the reason I don't carry a revolver, I am not nearly as capable to defend myself with one.

God knows I get preachy, and If I get active with TDPC, I'll not rest until they all at least shoot from concealment, but I'm not trying to denigrate anyone's style of shooting or choice of gear. I am having trouble with fitting some of it into the context of the "ethos". I think you referred to it as the "IDPA Creed" at the match. I don't know if such a thing exists, but I liked the way it sounded.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited May 31, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.06773 seconds with 8 queries