View Single Post
Old April 22, 2006, 11:36 PM   #1
therealsteamer

Help with an H&R .22...

Today I was given an old .22 rifle that had spent the better part of the last 20+ years in a corner, with the task of cleaning it up and getting it useable. It is an H&R model 755 SAHARA.

Disassembly was no problem, although the bolt was stiff and gummy, with light surface rust. Here is my problem? The extractor spring is either broken or the stuck in a state of compression. The plunger will move a bit in and out, but it will not extend enough to keep the keep the extractor from being ?floppy?. The firing pin is incredibly stiff, requiring a screwdriver and much direct pressure to cause movement either way. The rear of the firing pin is mushroomed from repeated impacts of the hammer. There is also a distinct imprint of the hammer in the rear of the bolt. I did attempt to ease some of the mushrooming on the rear of the pin with a file, but it seemed to help none. The bolt is currently sitting in a nice bath of Ed?s Red in hopes that it will free up the firing pin. Does any one have any suggestions? Also is a decent soaking in oil going to be enough to breathe life back into the leather buffer behind the bolt???.. Thanks

www.neardeathexperiments.com
Survival & Preparedness for All...

Page generated in 0.02970 seconds with 8 queries