View Single Post
Old December 26, 2012, 12:04 PM   #175
Technosavant

Quote:
Given that the Repubilcans still hold the House and the Democrats don't have a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, there would have to be at least some Republican support for a new AWB and I can't help but think that if Obama really wanted to do something about gun control he would appoint someone with more bipartisan appeal to head the committee.
I really don't think we can assume this one is going to be party line split one way or the other. Some Republicans will certainly support a ban, some Democrats will certainly fight one.

It's going to be somewhat bipartisan on both sides- small minorities of both parties siding with the other side out of their own political realities. Despite the high emotion level on this issue, I don't see either party cracking the whip on their members to get everybody on board. It's not the hill the Democrats want to die on and the Republicans have hardly been an across the board benefit to the right to keep and bear arms. Meanwhile, they already have a fantastic scapegoat to blame if nothing gets done- us. They'll be quite happy to do nothing and blame the NRA and all gun owners.

Page generated in 0.02451 seconds with 8 queries