View Single Post
Old November 21, 2009, 04:25 PM   #6
Gbro

Again, we do not have all the details that faced the Warden including past run-ins with the hunter.
However we all have a bad day and that includes wardens. Just be careful not to pick one that is having that all to often bad day.
Our local warden details what to do in cases of killing the wrong animal to all the firearm safety student and explains that sometimes things just do not add up and a ticket could be in order.

Being in a working relationship with the local CO I hear their side of incidents many times and then hear the hunters side down the road. I do not step in with any privileged info, but the stories do change when told to others. Am not saying that happened with your friend Roy, but it happens. And it happens just like you said too often also.

A good friend of mine and a fellow firearms safety instructor was tagged in Wisconsin for field dressing his deer before tagging it. Granted he should have known the rules but being from MN and never having to be that technical to the letter of the law left him open for a citation, anyway he was stopped with the deer in his truck and everything appeared to be fine. The warden questioned him about everything he did then wrote it all out and asked him if he would sign the statement. He said sure as that was just what he had done. As soon as the statement was signed the warden wrote the ticket for dressing before tagging. $500.00 and told him he could have taken his bow and truck also. Now that really stunk, I think.
He had no intention of doing anything wrong, just plane old ignorance of the law. I thought he might be able to fight it as he shouldn't have had to incriminate himself.
Moral of the story, Name, rank, license #. Then shut up.

Page generated in 0.03051 seconds with 8 queries