View Single Post
Old June 5, 2012, 05:46 PM   #3
PoorRichRichard

I'm far away from you in sunny Southern California, but I also love hunting both cottons (wabbits)and jacks (hares). I've noticed 3 differences I the two species:

1) size- generally the jacks are about 2-3 times the size of the cottons- this may not hold true in your part of the country.

2) movement- cottons tend to run or scamper close to the ground most of the time, kinda like a squirrel. Jacks motion tends to look a bit more deliberate in almost a galloping fashion at times. They seem to have more of a "hop" in their step. Again this could be very different in your part of the country- particularly when hunting in snow. All my bunny chasing is done in dry brushy, and generally warmer foothill areas, and/or the desert proper.

3) ear shape- all the jacks I've seen while hunting have big old long ears. Kinda creepy looking when they stand upright on their hind legs with ears pointed up listening for me coming to bast 'em.

When in doubt, scout scout scout! Hope this helps, and good huntin'!

Page generated in 0.03900 seconds with 8 queries