View Single Post
Old December 18, 2011, 04:27 PM   #59
Webleymkv

I support the legality of OC and those who choose to practice it, but it's not my cup of tea. In my state (Indiana) both CC and OC are legal so long as one has a LTCH (License To Carry a Handgun) as the law makes no distinction between the two types. That being said, OC is neither common (I've seen it a grand total of four times in the 9 1/2 years I've lived here) or particularly well-thought of by LEO's (nearly all will acknowledge that it's legal, but if asked they will tell you that they encourage CC over OC). Illinois, where carry of any type is illegal for non-LEO's, is right next door and, even though I'd be legally OK, I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle of a "man with a gun" 911 call from an ill-informed IL resident.

Also, I don't like to draw undue attention to myself and, because it's so uncommon, OC is likely to raise a few eyebrows. If I lived somewhere like Arizona where OC is relatively common and few people seem to think twice about it, I'd probably be more inclined to try it but, as circumstances are now, I'll stick with CC.

The above being said, I have absolutely no problem with people who choose to carry openly so long as they do so legally and responsibly. In many ways, I think that OC probably requires more care and forethought than CC does with regards to equipment, dress, and the manner in which you conduct yourself. I absolutely think that OC warrants a holster that has some sort of retention feature and that anything less is foolhardy. At the very least, I think a holster with a retention strap or flap is necessary and one of the security holsters commonly used by LEO's is even better.

Also, right or wrong, the way you dress and conduct yourself does indeed send a message not only about you but the rest of the gun owning community to the casual observer. If you want to OC, that's fine, but for goodness sake leave the baggy pants and hoodies or "Git 'er Done" hat and Confederate Flag t-shirt at home and wear something more respectable when you do it. Also, it is imperative that an OC'er conduct himself/herself in a polite and articulate manner. The last thing we need is to be percieved as a bunch of "gangstas in the 'hood" or "dumb rednecks" packing around our big shiny guns.

Unfortunately, there is no practical way to legislate responsibility (though that hasn't stopped many a misguided politician from trying). Inevitably, there are and will be some idiots who OC and make us look bad. I believe, however, that the idiots represent a very small minority and that the vast majority of OC'ers are responsible, upstanding people. I would much rather let a few idiots OC than I would deny the right to everyone because of the stupidity of a very small minority.

Page generated in 0.03783 seconds with 8 queries